direct and indirect subsidies
- The overall readability of the essay is not diminished by mistakes of spelling or grammar
- Explain the division of responsibilities between federal and state levels in regards to standardized testing under No Child Left Behind (NCLB). What are some potential problems with this system?
- Identify and explain at least two significant differences between Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF). Why is TANF considered to be better for states?
- Explain the difference between direct and indirect subsidies. Identify and explain at least two ways that states might use subsidies (either direct or indirect) as a means of promoting economic development.
- Explain the general characteristics of the spoils system and merit system of public employment. What are some potential problems with merit-based systems of hiring and promoting public employees?
- Explain the significance of Federal drug sentencing laws (e.g. the Sentencing Act of 1984) for contemporary issues of high incarceration rates. Identify and explain at least two examples of criminal justice reforms (at the state or federal level) intended to deal with this issue.